Sunday, April 3, 2011

A JACKET FOR MY SKETCH BOOK . . .

I was looking for a short but satisfying project to occupy my time while the serger is in the shop for reconditioning. I decided to make a soft cover for my sketch book! I started by stitching fabric scraps to a piece of felt, just adding elements until I liked the look. In the center I added a piece of fabric with a lion head on it, putting additional polyfil under it for dimension. This is the inside of the front cover showing the large sleeve that holds it all nice and tight. The inside of the back is similar. Here is a close up of the front, showing some stitching and some beading, the best part of any project! You can click on the photograph for a closer view.
This is the back cover. I positioned a piece of felt under the fabric and did free motion random machine embroidery to give it texture.
Now I really want to make another one! Just need to find a book I guess. I encourage you to find your fabric scraps and do a similar project. It makes it a lot more fun to carry this book around, that's for sure!

No comments: