Monday, August 19, 2013

Confessions of an artist .....


I recently began a large painting (37"X 37" ) and decided to document the process.  I wanted to be able to return to various stages of the painting, to see where the images were and how they were manipulated in the course of the painting.  As I reviewed the photographs, I was dismayed.  There were several points at which I really loved what I had created, and should have stepped back , but continued on to put down more paint, and to move it around.  Right now, the painting is "finished", meaning there is nothing more I want to do with it.  I like it, but not as much as I liked some images that are now hidden.  I may paint over it with white and start again. Here is the chain of photographs showing the progression.  I think you will see what I mean .....
I started by setting up an outdoor paint studio, so I wouldn't need to worry about the walls and the carpet.
 This is the table with the paint colors I chose, along with all the funky tools I use to manipulate the paint.
 The beginning .....already I am loving the colors.
 Added orange with my trusty whisk broom.....
 A close up of my first favorite section ....
 A close up of another section....
 Now the painting seems to have no direction, no point.....
 A defining move .....
 And, now finished.............possibly.
This is the process I go through with all my work.  I never have a final image in mind when I start.  Maybe this is the problem !  So, I may keep this, I may paint it over.  It has to hang around on the easal for awhile while I look at it.  The good news is, I do have photographs of that which I loved, even though it is hidden now.  I hope you enjoyed the journey!

No comments: