This is the background fabric before I applied the paints.
Here you can see the other piece of fabric on which I have put down several contrasting colors to use in the design that is just beginning to form in my head. After it has dried, I cut out three very simple flower shapes using a transparency. This way I can position them on the fabric to get the various colors where I want them before cutting out the shapes.
This photograph shows the initial arrangement of the flower elements. I continued to move them around until I was happy with the balance. This is a close up of the finished piece. In addition to acrylics I also used oil pastels to get more depth and shading.