Wednesday, June 2, 2010

AN EXPERIMENT IN ART......

This was an experiment that was difficult and yet exhilarating! Here is the process: I started by taking a photograph of Roy, sitting in a rocking chair and holding a cup of coffee. I then cut the photograph into small pieces, 1" X 1.5". Then, the pieces were numbered and I painted each one in a larger format on watercolor paper. After they dried, I adhered them to a piece of canvas board. You can see the lines of the painted rectangles. The interesting part of the experiment is that the lines of the objects in the photograph do not exactly match up, ( example; the back of the rocker) nor do the colors used in painting each small piece. I was not happy about the way the face appeared so I did some over painting on it until it suited me. Also, the background of the actual photograph was not what you see here. I think it was drapes in the living room, all wrong for the portrait! The small pieces do not totally cover the canvas board but this can be disguised by matting the piece. ( and yes, the nose continues to confound me) So I present to you the "experiment": "Clouds in My Coffee" 16X22 - acrylic on canvas board

2 comments:

KB in BR said...

What a neat result. I think the overall 'painterly' effect is what it's all about here. ... and I love it. Rather expands your possibilities, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

You are so right! Wait until you see what's next!!!