Sunday, June 6, 2010

"LOUISIANA FISHERMAN"....

Remember the photograph I used for the latest post? I cut it and then painted individual blocks and reassembled them to create "Clouds in My Coffee". This experiment called for me to draw from that same photograph, but with the photograph up side down. Here you can see the result. Then I added watered down acrylic to create the painting you see here.
The moment I took these photographs is the moment I should have stopped painting. But, I continued to lay down paint until last evening when I stepped back to observe and saw that my fisherman had disappeared; his soul was gone. I had over worked the painting to the point where it was no longer what it had been. So, this morning I plan to cover it all with white Gesso and start another piece. This is the only record of "Louisiana Fisherman". He will remain under whatever I paint on the board next. but I won't forget his face......
LESSON LEARNED: more often than not, a painting is finished before the artist is.......

2 comments:

KB in Baton Rouge said...

I soooooo loved him : (

And in his honor ... I leave this epitaph: "He was a strong man, full of pride and passion for his way of life on the water. He could not imagine himself working at the door of Walmart, .... so he too left....

Anonymous said...

Perfect!