Thursday, June 17, 2010

SUPPORTING OUR LOCAL FARMS....

Every Thursday, for 18 weeks during the growing season here, a basket of fresh garden items from the local farms is delivered to us. The cost is $6 a week. The basket will contain whatever vegetables and herbs come ripe during that time. In today's basket we received, chard, carrots, snap peas, zucchini, strawberries and six fresh brown eggs. Every week will be a surprise! In addition to the fresh produce, the basket includes a small pamphlet which includes recipes using one or more of the ingredients. It is a fun way to try things you might not ordinarily try. Here is a photograph of today's basket contents. We do love living here......

8 comments:

Sue said...

My cousin has a similar arrangement at the farmer's market near her in Minneapolis, but she has to pick it up. I am so envious of each of you!

Unknown said...

Hello my friend! Maybe you could figure out a way to start such a program in your area? It is really fun to get the baskets. Kinda like Christmas!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Just returned from our little local market (8 miles away). I paid $5.25 for a quart of organic local strawberries. See the kind of deal you got?! When we lived in NC, we had a "lettuce lady" who grew leaf lettuce, herbs, and tomatoes for the good restaurants in Raleigh/Durham. On her way to the cities she would drop a bag of whatever was current - we just left an iced cooler on the front porch.
Good news - I got locally made cheese from a local creamery today - Brie for $1/ounce!

Unknown said...

I guess I really do get a good deal. And, now I am envious of your cheese score!

Sue said...

Thank you again for this post. I sent my cousin here, she told me it's called "CSA" and I found a local one. I have to pick up every Tuesday, pay a week in advance, so I didn't get anything this week, but saw what was being picked up. I'm VERY excited. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

You are right Sue! The phamplet does have CSA on it. Do you have any idea what that means? I guess I should know but I don't! Do let me know what you get in your basket next week, ok?

Anonymous said...

A friend said that there is a local group that does this for $36. a week! No eggs. What a deal you are getting.. cheers Dee