Monday, February 15, 2010

JOANN FABRICS ROCKS!

Those of us who sew, and paint stuff, and play with all things fabric know about the wonders of those coupons at Joann Fabrics, right? Well, the wonder is really wonderful! This weekend Joann offered Simplicity Patterns, five for $5. Seriously, a dollar apiece! To save time, and assuming there might be lots of shoppers pouring over pattern books, I went to the Simplicity web site and selected five patterns I liked. We went to the the store with my list and got the five patterns and I selected two pieces of fabric to make two tops. Here is that totally amazing part! The patterns I selected ranged in price from $10.95 to $16.95. So, with a coupon for 50% off one of the pieces of fabric and $5 for all five patterns, my bill was $25.80. I saved $89.66. I remember sewing when patterns were about $5.00 each. When did they get so outrageous? When the tops are finished I will share photographs. Of course this morning I have taken the time to finally adjust my dress form to approximate my shape, odd that it is. It should make for a more successful garment in the end, right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tee hee I remember when patterns were 25 cents! I had to remake each pattern anyway so I got one pattern and re did it to suit my ideas. I started making all of my clothing when I was in eighth grade. I was petite and stores only had childrens and juniot sizes. I had no idea patterns were sooooo expensive now!!! dee

Anonymous said...

My Mother also reminded me that patterns used to be 25 cents. When she found one for 75 cents it was usually a Vogue pattern, those ones that are impossible to sew from!

Anonymous said...

The way to go these days is to make your own patterns. When I was teaching in Australia, they put me in charge of a home-ec class and part of what those girls learned was to make their own patterns. I don't know how much of that they learned under my tutulege!!! CShoe

Anonymous said...

Oh no...that sounds like a 2-person activity for sure! Nope, not making a pattern here!

Anonymous said...

No pattern-making here, either. I wouldn't even make a muu-muu without one. Remember them? Wish I could remember what color mine was. I think it might have been purple. Carol, what color was yours?
Suze

Anonymous said...

I think there is a photo somewhere of the five of us on Christmas morning in our muu-muus. I suspect mine was brown (ack).