Saturday, February 20, 2010

OUR DEER FAMILY EATS WELL.....

We have a family of deer that lives in our woods and comes by our home on a daily basis. There are seven of them; a buck, three does, and three young ones. And, they are always hungry! In this photograph you can see the cookie sheet of shelled corn on the right and see that it is just a few feet from our back porch off the kitchen. Every morning I put out about 8 cups of the corn and sometimes a piece of fruit that is past its prime. They seem to like those squishy apples just fine. We buy the corn in 50 pound sacks at the local farmer's co-op for about $6.00 a bag. They appear from the woods, in this pathway, in snow that is about a foot deep right now. They mill about, moving softly and quietly and stirring up the crusty snow. You can get an idea of how deep the snow is in this photograph. Every morning this is what that cookie sheet looks like, not a single piece of shelled corn remains. Since they appear at dusk, we are able to watch them but getting a good photo opportunity is difficult. Aren't they just beautiful.....

5 comments:

KB in BR said...

Wow .... beautiful AND smart !

Deborah said...

They are so beautiful. I'm glad you feed them.

Anonymous said...

HI Deborah! And how could we not? I worried about all of them through the hunting seasons and we posted our land to try and keep them safe. I am sure they ramble over many acres though...

ooglebloops said...

I feed "my" deer also!! I know they are out there right now - it's dark, but the dogs are yowling, looking out the window!! They sometimes show up early for dinner, and I've gotten a few good pix. These guys (and gals) are off limits to the hunters (and my husband) as long as they are on our land!!

Unknown said...

Ahhhh... I knew you were a kindred spirit!