Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A READER REQUEST...

Amy asked for a photograph of the label I use in my wearable art items. I am using a very old and worn (and soft) t-shirt, dyed a light brown. I stamp it with my favorite stamp using a permanent black ink. Beneath it I sew my own custom label. ( in this photograph it is just lying underneath the image) I stitch it into the neckline of the garment in a casual or rough way, leaving raw edges all around. As an additional note, I always remove all manufacturers tags, including care instructions as well as size information. I add my own care label, depending on how I have altered the garment. We all know sizes are unreliable and I want my customers to try things on, without a previous knowledge that it might not fit due to the size label. Also, if you do much altering of the garment the size would not really be accurate anyway! So there ya go! Go make your very own special label!

6 comments:

Amy C. Moreno said...

very cool...thanks for taking the time to share it with me/us. It's lovely

Geree said...

Very clever idea, Jude! Love it!

Unknown said...

Thanks all!

Unknown said...

Happy to help....and welcome to my blog!

Alison said...

Thank you for taking the time to show us! And for the extra tips regarding washing instructions and sizes.
Alison

Unknown said...

Alison, you are welcome! Sharing information can only help all of us do what we do better!