Thursday, October 29, 2009

THESE GUYS ARE HUGE!!!!

Seriously, they are 17 inches long! (according to the National Audubon Society Field Guide to Birds). They are called the Pileated Woodpecker and are the largest woodpecker in North America. A pair of them showed up outside the kitchen door this afternoon, assaulting our trees in their search for bugs. It was difficult to get the photographs because I used the zoom feature and their heads were really moving fast. I hope they come back! Aren't they magnificent!?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jude. It's uncommon to see them so close to the house. I'm impressed!

ooglebloops said...

Those a great photos- we have them near our house. I can hear them and see where they have been pounding out lunch on the dead trees!! Once in a while I see them fly over. Can never get pix tho!!!

Anonymous said...

I have never even seen them! I was glad the camera was close at hand and the zoom through the window really did work! I hope they come back.
(hey)Jude

Anonymous said...

Woodpeckers are way more interesting to look at than your dead rattlesnakes in New Mexico! tee hee Dee